Spiking Into the Season

Saisree Kumar

Rachel Christenson (‘23) bumps the ball as Ava Cawley (‘24), Palmer Robinson (‘24), Izzy Barsh (‘24), Marley Tuitele (‘25), and Kayla Rothman (‘24) cover her.

Boulder High’s Girls Volleyball team had their first at-home game on August 24th against Westminster High School. While the junior varsity team was victorious against the Wolves, the sophomore and varsity teams struck out this match but put up a good game and hope to do better as the season progresses. The best play was a block by Cece Welles, #7, a freshman middle blocker on varsity, who stepped up the entire game.  

Though the varsity team lost, they hope to have a better season this year with a better student turnout. Bekah Baker, a senior on the varsity team, said the game had shown the team that they need to “get out of their heads mentally.” Senior Ami Diatta added the game had taught the team to “create their own energy” and not depend on the dead crowd. I agree that the student turnout for volleyball’s talented teams was disappointing, especially for varsity. Even the JV team winning against Westminster had a discouraging student show out, compared to some of the more popular but less successful sports at the school. While the game was entertaining and fast-paced, the atmosphere was lacking, as the Westminister Wolves had a bigger turnout than our Panthers during a home game. The student support varied for each BHS team but was lacking throughout. 

So far, the varsity team has played against Arvada High School, Silver Creek High School, Pomona High School, Chaparral High School, and Ralston Valley High School, and though they haven’t won a game yet, the players hope to play better with more student support at their next game. We hope to see the new additions to the varsity team during the game, Maggie Roberts (‘24) and Tessa Botha (‘24).

Students also anticipate the game against our rivals, Fairview, that will take place on October 20th at the main gym. So be sure to go out and support our panthers, especially on our turf!