Wrestling Team Wrecks Fairview

Laine Devlin

The team hoists the Lynn Daker Trophy triumphantly after their victory over Fairview.

Jan. 17: Boulder’s boys wrestling team took on cross-town rial Fairview under the dramatic spotlights in the Pit, absolutely crushing at the dual meet with a score of 63-13. The energy in the small, dimmed gym that evening was electric and palpable, with the floor spectators mostly consisting of members of the infamously rowdy football team and the JV  team members who had come out to hype up the varsity wrestlers. As if the rivalry didn’t add enough spice to the spectacle, the evening also served as the setting for the team’s senior night honoring its oldest athletes and their dedication to the sport. Jamie Parks, Jordan Zicklin, Dylan Tepedelen and Bryce Myers were honored at the event as the four seniors on the team this year. The match possessed all the hallmarks of a senior night, with emotional parents and ecstatic fans abound. Speaking to his pride for his most aged players, head coach Will said he “loved the outcome, all the fans and the screaming crowd… my seniors came out with high energy and made me proud tonight.”

Laine Devlin
A Boulder High athlete skillfully pins his Fairview opponent.
Laine Devlin
The varsity team stands by the side of the mat, awaiting the start of the match.

After speaking with some of the younger team members along the sidelines before the match really got underway, it was evident that the team’s enthusiasm and confidence were running high. When asked what they predicted the outcome for the night would be, freshman Harry Platten said, “[we’re] hyped, we want to beat Fairview.” “We’re gonna destroy,” added freshman Dakota Hess. Their predictions quickly began to manifest, as in the first round, Boulder won by an easy forfeit from the Fairview wrestler. After this first lightning-fast victory, the Panthers took off with each successive match and pin eliciting more riotous cheers from the fan section. 

Wrestling is a very unique sport to watch, quite a change from the usual pace of high school team sports. First of all, the fact that only one athlete from each time competed at a time led to a high-stakes feeling for each match. One central technique in wrestling is batting at your opponent’s face in order to enrage them into striking out, at which point they are vulnerable for a pin to the mat. The aggression of the sport proves to be one of its most engaging features, with endorphins and testosterone pulsing through the air.

Throughout the evening, no spectators showed more engagement than the Boulder High wrestling coaches and team members. Head Coach Will could be heard from the sidelines all evening yelling advice to players such as “head up, on your toes!” and “slow it down.” It’s clear that he commanded the respect of his team and the athletes heeded his instructions even in the chaos of their duals. 

After senior Bryce Myers’ nail-biting match that he took by a razor-thin margin, the crowd burst out in cheers of “30 – nothing”, referring to the score of the dual meet at that point. The next match unfortunately led to sweaty grappling in overtime that brought the score to 30-3. Then Boulder lost again, bringing the score to 30-9. Still, fans’ spirits were not dampened as the meet chugged forward. At one point a timeout was called due to a nosebleed inflicted on one of the Boulder High wrestlers. While the sight of blood came as a shock to myself as an uninitiated spectator to the sport, an athlete remarked to me that “wrestling is not for the faint of heart, [a nosebleed] is the tamest of the injuries you could get.” Luckily, the severity of the injury was low enough that the match could proceed after a short intermission.

Laine Devlin
The crowd goes wild behind the final two wrestlers of the evening.

The next notable athlete up was senior Dylan Tepedelen, intriguing mostly for his connection as a player on the football team the members of which, as previously noted, were front row to the spectacle. His football teammates cheered him on with what is assumed to be the affectionate nickname “Twix.” 

After another quick pin and victory for Boulder High, junior Theron Sovndal’s match went underway. His loss in the first round roused boos from the student section, and the classic cheer “let’s go Boulder” was initiated. Rallying from the initial loss Sondeval went on to win by points against his opponent.

Spectating the event, I was so fully absorbed in the action that I barely realized we’d reached our final match of the varsity dual until the last two athletes walked out. The Fairview athlete had at least half a foot of height on the Boulder wrestler, junior Kevin Salazar, and for a second I thought Boulder was done for. Yet with skill and grace Salazar laid this kid out, easily pinning him in a captivating, David-and-Goliath-esque manner. In what seemed like a breakneck whirlwind of sweaty grappling and hoarse screaming, Boulder emerged victorious, with the crowd on the floor engulfing their champion. 

At the end of the evening, the Boulder High wrestling team was presented with the Lynn Daker trophy for their exceptional feats of athleticism. The Panthers overall had a wildly successful senior night, taking the dub against faiview 63-13.