SLA: The Student Leadership Alliance

For the ever-involved and engaged Boulder High student body, there exists a myriad of wonderful clubs and organizations that exist solely to help the community. Student Council, Panther Pride, National Honors Society and Sources of Strength rank among the more recognizable groups at Boulder High, but just this year, a revolutionary group of student leaders met for the inaugural summit of a brand new type of student leadership.

The aptly named Student Leadership Alliance—or SLA—is a conglomeration of approximately 60 representatives from almost every club, activity and athletic team at Boulder High, and it meets monthly to discuss how best to promote cohesion in the student body. The group’s mantra, “commUNITY,” is a simple way to tout the goals of their actions. Going forward, SLA hopes to gain greater notoriety around the school and traction with their work. They hope to promote greater and more consistent attendance and spirit at Boulder High athletic and artistic events, and the group has taken steps such as setting up “sister teams” across the school and coordinating with the Parent Advisory Council to obtain grants for their work. But don’t just take it from us; here’s what Ms. Lewis, the assistant principal and one of the co-founders of SLA, had to say about it.