Father Escorted Out of JV Basketball Game

Three+Boulder+Police+Officers+arrived+at+the+game+moments+after+the+father+was+escorted+out+of+the+game.+

Akasha Brahmbhatt

Three Boulder Police Officers arrived at the game moments after the father was escorted out of the game.

At a Boulder High School’s girls JV basketball game, the team played against Mountain Range High School. During this game a Mountain Range High School father was escorted out of the game after the referee called a foul ball. I arrived at the game about halfway through. While sitting in the stands across from where the parents were seated, I noticed a man stand up with an enraged look on his face. The man yelled at the referee, saying phrases such as “you’re a clown!” Mr. O’Block, who was another referee behind the counter, then escorted the father out of the bleachers and out of the gym. The family of the father, which consisted of the mother and another daughter soon trailed behind. Three Boulder Police officers then showed up to the school after the man was escorted out of the gym, and stayed for the entirety of the subsequent Varsity game.

The question of good sportsmanship arises from this event. Junior Delaney Helgans was one of the few students who witnessed this event. She thought that “it was idiotic that the dad decided to scream at a high school referee; they aren’t paid enough to be dealing with that.” She’s right. These referees do not want to be yelled at for doing their job and trying to play a fair game. Eddie Hartnett, who wasn’t in attendance at this particular game, still had comments about the situation. He believes that “it is so important when attending interscholastic games at the high school level that all the adults behave as role models. Parents, coaches, anyone at the scoring table. I think that it sends a message [of good sportsmanship] to the students because we are adults, and we need to behave appropriately.” At the end of the day, it doesn’t matter what team you are on, showing respect during different sporting events can foster a better environment where both athletes and spectators enjoy themselves more.