Meet Our Student Resource Officer

In March of 2018, Denver students staged a school walkout and protest on the state capitol building in response to the influx of school-related gun violence. In response, Colorado lawmakers adjusted the budget for schools to put $35 million into improving school security. This money was to be used for security upgrades to buildings such as installing new security cameras and establishing controlled access, as well as hiring more student resource officers. We can see the effects of this legislation in recent years firsthand at Boulder High with security cameras installed in our campus, a key FOB system for the front door as well as employing a full-time school resource officer (SRO). No longer are the days of the old security guard, Batman, guarding the front door. In this American culture where we have practically become desensitized to school shootings, an officer on campus brings many students comfort. 

Enter Officer Brent Biekert, a police officer of 36 years and on his third year of working with Boulder High School. I sat down with Officer Biekert to ask some questions to get a better idea of what an SRO does at Boulder High. Officer Biekert started in law enforcement when he was 23 years old and has worked for Boulder Police Department (BPD) for 22 years, Colorado University for eight years and an Ohio Sheriff’s Department for three years. There is a five-year rotation for officers within schools before further deployment, though Officer Biekert plans on retirement after BHS.

Officer Biekert is a regular police officer who just happens to be assigned to the school. There are four other SRO’s that circulate the city’s middle and high schools. They carry all the stock police equipment such as a vest, a handgun, and a taser. Their job within schools is to provide a resource to administration, teachers, and students for anything law enforcement related. “[I] Keep an eye on things, make sure everybody is safe,” says Officer Biekert. He is employed by the city and answers to his Sergeant within BPD, not Dr. Hill. Generally, the administration will come to him with an issue and it is up to Officer Biekert to provide insight on whether a law has been broken or if charges need to be pressed. Another goal of SRO’s is to build a relationship with students so that kids don’t see police officers as the “bad guys.” Officer Biekert accomplishes this by goofing around with students as well as coaching track and field, football, and girls basketball.

The current allocation of five SRO’s for the 56 schools within BVSD does not seem adequate. In Officer Biekert’s ideal world, he would want to see at least two SRO’s per high school, one SRO per middle school and one or two SRO’s that circulate all the elementary schools. However, this is an unlikely scenario due to a lack of resources, funding, and staff. 

When asked what his favorite part about being an SRO is, Officer Biekert replied “The kids! All of you! Most cops don’t like dealing with juveniles, I actually like high school kids, I think you are a great group of people.” As a police officer, his job is to enforce the law when appropriate, but Officer Biekert expressed that his main goal is education, not punishment, and getting kids ready for adulthood. “Sometimes that is not so much book stuff, but just life lessons, ya know? I was in high school once too. It was a while ago, but I do remember. Kids struggle with a lot more than my generation, and I just want to help them out.” 

If you ever have a question or situation you think a police officer could assist with, Officer Biekert’s office is located in the front office, and he can also be found around the school. Don’t be afraid to say “Hi!” to our overwhelmingly kind and knowledgeable Student Resource Officer.