Fairview Fumbles

Back to Article
Back to Article

Fairview Fumbles

Students taunted Fairview players with posters throughout the game. (Photo courtesy of BHS yearbook)

Elijah Boykoff and Amanda Reader

Fairview football game

Boulder High’s Team Rowdy led the cheer on Thursday night. (Photo courtesy of BHS Yearbook)

On Thursday, August 29th, the Boulder High Varsity Football Team took on Fairview on a beautiful evening at Recht Field. The Knights defeated the Panthers 49-14 after a hard-fought game, extending their winning streak to 12 consecutive years of defeating Boulder High School in football.

The stadium was packed with supporters for both teams, and fans got involved in the game to what some would say were unprecedented levels. In particular, Boulder High students specifically targeted certain Fairview players with personalized chants and posters. Most notably, Fairview Senior Henry Blackburn was given an Open Container Ticket over summer break, which ruled him out of the first five football games for Fairview this year. Boulder High students jumped on the opportunity created by Blackburn’s transgressions, making a poster from a picture of Blackburn on the day of the ticket that was flaunted throughout the game, as well as taunting chants such as “MIP”. 

Later on in the game, the allegedly intoxicated father of Blackburn entered the Boulder High stands in an attempt to control the tormenting. After altercations between the father and several Boulder High students, chants of “daddy’s boy” ensued that aimed to further harass the Fairview star.

In addition to the vexation of Blackburn, BHS students went after Fairview star quarterback Aidan Atkinson throughout the game. A certain student on the Boulder High side managed to get a hold of an embarrassing photo of the Northwestern commit depicting the player having urinated in his pants. The photo was blown up and brandished during the game, with a supporting chant of “pee-pee boy.” 

After the lively game, Atkinson made some less than gracious comments about Boulder High and its students. In an interview with The Daily Camera, Atkinson declared, “It’s proving to everybody why Fairview is the better school. As a kid growing up here, you’re choosing between Monarch, Centaurus, Fairview, and Boulder. We take this game personally. Anybody that decided to go to Boulder and play football and dress out for them, we take that personally.” Clearly, Boulder High’s student fan section was successful in getting under the Fairview star’s skin — a goal that they had from the beginning. 

The students of Boulder High apologize to Aidan Atkinson and the entire Fairview Football Team for choosing to attend Boulder High — on the Atkinson scale, the inferior high school. Hopefully, Aidan and the rest of the team can learn to not take it personally next time.