The OWL

Filed under Entertainment, Showcase

CU Spring Concert 2019

Back to Article
Back to Article

CU Spring Concert 2019

When:

Sunday, April 28, 2019 at 7pm, doors open at 6:30pm

Where:

Mary Rippon Outdoor Theatre. This will be the first time that the CU Spring Concert will be held in the outdoor amphitheater!

Tickets:

$15 for students, $25 for adults: stillwoozycu.eventbrite.com

Performers:

At only twenty-five, Sven Gamsky is a rising star who will be performing in Boulder on April 28. Sven broke into the music scene two years ago with his unique blend of electronic and acoustic music that creates an easygoing, woozy sound. Sven’s artist alias, aptly named “Still Woozy,” is the perfect description for how “out of it” he feels in his life. He creates all of his music in his garage in Oakland, CA, which contributes to his organic sound. His favorite instrument, guitar, is always prominently featured in his songs.

While Still Woozy has only released a handful of singles, his popularity has skyrocketed recently through social media and after being featured on Spotify’s “Fresh Finds” playlist. Check out “Goodie Bag,” “Cooks,” and his most recent single, “Lucy”.  The songs are filled with raw and melodious undertones which leave listeners feeling mellow. His funky and disorienting style has a catchy vibe.

In a day and age where so much music lacks originality, Still Woozy has a sound all its own, a hallmark of a promising artist. It’s evident that “Cooks” was one of Sven’s earliest works. Its simplicity and repetition are a bit like reggae, but he hadn’t quite found his trademark sound. His most popular single, “Goodie Bag,” is a sweet mix of complex lyrics, infectious harmonies, and catchy hooks. Sven took a creative risk by collaborating with Odie in his most recent release, “Lucy.” The melodies and riffs are reminiscent of the 1980s duet between Paul McCartney and Stevie Wonder. With comparisons like that, you’re in for some quality music!

In addition, emerging South Florida rapper, Yeek, will be opening for Still Woozy. Yeek’s music blends hip-hop, indie, and R&B, but his unique sound in many ways experiments beyond the limits of those genres. He produces the beats, he sings, and raps in all of his songs, some of his most popular being“Shake” and “Seven,” as well as “Only in the West,” with almost nine million listeners on Spotify. His first album, Love Slacker, delves into his perspectives on the topic of modern love and explores the culture of a new generation of youth.

Still Woozy is playing at Coachella only days before the CU Spring Concert. Dreamy music under the stars… what better way to enjoy springtime in Boulder?